navbar

Monday, June 14, 2010

Zoidberg my friend, is that you?

Found this great illustrator, Joseph Crocker, on iconology. This awesome yellow, red and black piece to the right caught my eye in an instant. I don't know if it's because my TV deprivation makes me really miss Futurama but the illustration reminds me a little of Zoidberg. All that aside, I love the flamboyancy in his expression but also in the bright yellow and red contrasted against the black. Even the lighthearted movement of the lips, I originally interpreted as tentacles, makes me hear their voice. There are miles of personality in such a simple rendering of this character.

He has a splendor of other amazing pieces as well, many portraying a rainbow of characters. Some of them even have a Picasso-esque influence because of the twisted perspective. They all seem to tell a story which is what might be so intriguing. Individually, the illustrations gave me a sense that they could be compiled as an illustrated book (especially because one of them actually reminded me of the illustrations in kid's books, Mr. Men) and as it turns out they are apart of his book for Nobrow called 'Vedoin'.

Basically I admire his distinctive style.

No comments:

Post a Comment