navbar

Sunday, June 6, 2010

challenge day 3

Falling asleep without TV has become easier but staying asleep seems to be a whole other story. I found myself stirring throughout as usual but normally I had the comforting hum of the TV in the background as a sanctuary, a place of rest for my brain to numb to and allow myself to fall back into a state of sleep. However, now this is all gone. No longer can I numb my brain with TV babble like Nyquil to render myself unconscious. I must rely on myself.

I never thought that I would find such close correalations with my no mindless media challenge to my quest to quit smoking but as my third day begins and I'm taking note of my symptoms of TV withdrawal, I'm really starting to feel as though I'm in rehab.

In essence, it does have quite strong similarities. On my first few days of quitting cigarettes, the absence of the thin white stick between my two fingers had never been so apparent. I realized that certain activities made me expect a cigarette, before after or during. When I stepped outside and knew I had at least a 7 minute walk ahead of me, I'd pull out a cigarette. If I had to wait for a bus, an appointment or a person I would want a smoke. If I was out drinking with friends, I'd want a go out for a dart. If I was at work, we'd want a smoke break. After a big meal, I'd crave that bogey. When I knew this was longer an option, it almost felt like I was on a diet, craving my favorite sweets and witnessing people around you gorging yet knowing that I could not let my self-control get the better of me. As I enter the third day of my no mindless media challenge I see how there are cravings for the remote during a meal, when I'm waiting to leave, or if my favorite cartoon is on. It stares at me from the middle of the room taunting me to turn it on. I hear people around me talking about shows and wish I was in the loop.

When I think about some of the steps I took to quit smoking, there are a couple links there too. Like hiding lighters and staying away from corner stores where the clerk would have the pack ready for me were conscious actions I took to allow myself distance from the dirty habit. In the same way I've hidden remotes and hidden buttons.

Even certain emotions will bring on cravings for the TV light, just like stress would make me want to light that smoke. When I'm bored it seems I want to turn to it the most. It was a time killer.

The more and more I compare the two, the more I see TV as a drug.

No comments:

Post a Comment