navbar

Monday, June 14, 2010

realize life



"Love is the extremely difficult realization that something other than oneself is real."

I think about all the people and things throughout my life that I've been fortunate enough to know and love and this quote only becomes that much more clear. When we love someone, we let them into our world and get to know theirs. We share our lives and understand each other. Building friendships and finding people to love like family and friends is the most rewarding challenge in life. We may not always get along with our loved ones but riding it out and being there in their time of need is the fruit of true love. It is the most overlooked yet essential part of life and can determine who we are and who we become. We let ourselves get so wrapped up in occurrences and the values of the material world that we neglect the well-being of something so organic, simple love. When I read this quote yesterday, it was such a simple yet revealing truth about love that it reminded me that life does not have to be complicated.

Love is realizing what's real and life is reality, so love life.

I created this simple piece in appreciation of this quote by British author and philosopher, Iris Murdoch for articulating such a beautiful truth. I want to realize the world and love what's real. 

No comments:

Post a Comment