navbar

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Inspiration: Mountains of Sushi

Like the charm of finding change on the floor here are two very different things that have been like finding lucky pennies along my path.


My First Penny

The first is the work of Joseph Blalock whose logo / identity designs are so articulate they take you for miles of communication all in a moment. Its subtle eloquence makes I appreciate it that much more. The logo that stopped me in my tracks was Iron Mountain for a document management firm. It's so brilliantly straight-forward and simple.

What a great solution for the logo, it makes me wonder what his process must've been like to have discovered the resemblance and to have visually transformed the subject so powerfully into the name. Now, I'll always relate the two.

It brings to mind the FedEx logo, my all time favourite logo. It has the ability to speak about an entire company's identity and encapsulate it into an icon. The FexEx logo is stripped down to the bare principles of typography and graphic design: letters and space. It's like being rationed your food for survival, and yet it triumphs as such a prosperous logo. Through the use of the negative space between the capital 'e' and the 'x' they've fully taken advantage of the space by allowing the space in between the two forms to create a new form, an arrow. The arrow adds a new dimension to the logo and speaks about direction, movement, speed, and intelligence in a way like no other. -- This is why I love it. 

Ad found on an AdRants blog


Second found penny

This second item made me metaphorically $0.02 richer. I love sushi! I would eat it breakfast, lunch and dinner if I could. I even claimed that if I had to pick one type of food to eat for the rest of my life, I might gladly pick sushi. There's something about not only the light taste that leaves you satisfied but the art that's involved in its creation.  

Having said that, imagine my excitement when I see art imitating life, and life taking form in art as sushi soap! Etsy shop, Bunny Bubbles has some great creative soap creations that are beautiful works of practical and useable art. The delicious bars of soap are even matched in creativity for their scent, each baring a unique combination of distinct asian flavors which adds an extra layer of continuity.

This is the kind of thing I want to have in my home instead of buying factory made, masses-to-the-billions brands of soap like dove, and ivory. Soaps whose ingredient lists that might baffle a chemistry major,  the same ones that the super-store shelves are teeming with are ones I wish weren't as available, convenient and affordable. I'd much rather support great artists. Their products are most likely safer to use especially since they are handmade with natural ingredients in a more organic way and I use that word cautiously as I don't mean the way most big corporations have simply turned organic into a brand or marketing tool. I'm talking about the way in which it was created, a much simpler process by the hands of a professional whose passion and gifts compel them to craft even the most practical items. This is how it should be, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment