navbar

Monday, July 5, 2010

Post No Bills

After being sent home due to the rolling black-outs, I left work at King and Bathurst to meet Teri at Queen and Spadina, only to realize there was nowhere to do anything since nobody had power. Regardless, I'm still glad that I trenched through the heat for what felt like an endless distance due to the smoldering heat. Other than having met my friend (however brief our meeting was), the trek was made worthwhile because of my surroundings. The area is so full of art, culture and life even in the simplest way.

It lives in walls, behind windows and doors, on the streets, on store signs, and even as graffiti. There were quaint, and quite obviously tight shops where I could just hear the stories of all the unique items. The tales of the antique's previous lives whispered past my ears like a piece of shared gossip walking past me. Bike shops, whose bike residents looked like a much more heroic feat of ingenuity than that of any that you might find at a larger wholesaler. Bright murals along alley walls, handcrafted jewels adorning storefront windows, fabrics majestically draping down shelves in textile stores, it was all so refreshing in a familiar and almost redundant way and yet I was so happy it was all around me. Maybe it was the heat.

Amongst it all, what stood out the most was definitely the image you see posted below. It orders "POST NO BILLS" and in one swift, witty yet defying manner four infamous Bills have been posted: Clinton, Murray, Gates and Cosby. It's undeniably reminiscent of the work of my favourite graffiti artist, Banksy and only makes me wonder if it was in fact his work. This might just be a little wishful thinking but it is simple and witty enough to bear its identity as a Banksy piece yet since there's no definite indications yet, for now it will remain anon.


No comments:

Post a Comment