navbar

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Project 1

Project one for Litho was done and handed in last week. I was planning on waiting until I received my printed edition back from my prof to share it on my blog but since I haven't gotten it back just yet I thought I would go ahead and show you the result of my sweat and tears this past month.

Proofs from first attempt at going to press
The whole process will involve two stages whereby, I hope to produce 2-3 editions of a series. My first edition has been accomplished along with the first stage. In case you're wondering 'what is an edition?'; I'm referring to the series of prints resulting from going to press with the litho stone. Usually you aim to print a specified number of identical prints. They are later numbered and the first should be the print that is the most like what you had intended your image to look like. As for what to expect for the following stages of my litho series, it will remain untold for now (although some friends have been divulged) and I will fill you in as I proceed.

I will however share that this series is dedicated to my loving and nurturing mother and this piece in particular is a representation of her. She was the one who always encouraged me to follow my heart and let me pursue my passions. She is a great source of inspiration and so I thought it would only be fitting that she take on a new life in my stone. I chose to personify her as a matryoshka (Russian nested doll) because matryoshkas were originally created in the likeness of a healthy and nurturing Russian peasant mother and her family. Although my mom is not Russian I found that it was a unique and interesting symbol for this subject. This symbol also lends itself to another aspect of my series which, will become more apparent when it is complete.

Inked up stone
Within the image of the doll itself, I also incorporated personal qualities of my mother. Her almond shaped eyes and signature bangs were qualities I simply couldn't ignore. My mother was also the middle child of 6 kids represented by the six smaller circles on her headdress, herself included, and the bigger middle circle signifies hers and my grandmother's rested souls. The swirly designs on her dress depict her free-flowing beautiful spirit and the background wash illustrates her absence from the world.



love you, miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment